Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Barn Sale Treasures - Part 2

One of the other sale-goers asked me how to remove rust from a metal lid that she was considering....(are you thinking what I'm thinking?) with a chuckle, I explained that the rust is my favorite part, so I actually spray it with polyurethane to preserve it.

Not sure what the correct term for this is - I don't think it's a gear. It has a channel in the wheel where a cord or chain would go - so it's some type of wheel or maybe part of a pulley? A big pulley.



Isn't this old account ledger so cool? This page is dated 1943.

9 hours of work for $4.50.  

This was tucked inside the ledger...

....along with some newspaper clippings, including a "Formula for Whitewash."

Plus, a nice little 4th of July card.

A spelling text book still had a little boy's homework tucked inside.


Many of the photos were ruined because the barn was more of a lean-to. Sadly, piles of great magazines and scrapbooks and family photos were in pretty poor condition from being exposed to the elements.
  This one is still in great shape -the little one on the left reminded me of my Emme and her crazy hair.

Matching outfits.  Some things never change.

Discovering these old film strip reels in metal containers was better than Christmas morning!

I tried to pick the ones with fun titles or colorful containers.  Does anyone know anything about these? I was just planning on throwing away the film and keeping the reels and containers.  

When my husband asked me why I wanted this, I looked behind me to see who he was talking to...

...because we usually like the same things.  I should have warned him that he may come home from work one day to find me cuddling with this little beauty.
(Oops, I just realized I posted it yesterday too...oh well, it's just THAT wonderful)

And I almost forgot...
...the deer antlers.  Honestly, they kind of gross me out...but I know that they are super-popular right now, and I thought someone might as well enjoy them rather than let them sit in an old dirty barn.
blah.

And that, my dears, is my collection of barn sale finds.   

If you missed yesterday, be sure to check it out too.

I never leave a sale with more than 1 or 2 things...my poor husband will drive to a sale an hour from our house and I'll buy a $.25 basket.

I'm very picky....or maybe I'm very indecisive?
So, I'd say this one was a success!

Sharing at these linky parties:

take care -
  

Follow Me on Pinterest

4 comments:

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Very fun finds! Lots of history there!

Mrs. Jones from the Circus said...

Oh my! What a haul!!! I love that pulley for sure. Several years ago... Ok, maybe 15 we had some of my Grandma's reel video converted to VHS....told you it was awhile. I'm sure a similar service is available to go to DVD. our videos are fun to watch...but we know those people....now that I think about it, I'd say burned in 2007 along with her farm house. Anyway, I'm sure the videos are cool but converting the, may be a $$ factor. I wonder if your county or state historical society would want them?
I loved all the things you got. I'm ruining I really need to get that helicopter ^so we can shop together!!!

Artsy VaVa said...

I love all your great finds! I'm with you on the rust!!!

Artsy VaVa said...

Love your blog. Following now via GFC and following you on Pinterest. Hope you'll stop by my blog sometime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...